Reid Small

February 17, 2022

-Western Standard


Mounties in Houston, BC are investigating an incident where Coastal GasLink (CGL) security workers were violently confronted by a group of people armed with weapons, including axes.

The incident unfolded along the Morice River Forest Service Road near Houston, BC shortly after midnight on Thursday.

“Approximately 20 masked and violent attackers wearing camouflage surrounded and attacked Coastal GasLink workers in a highly planned and dangerous unprovoked assault,” CoastalGaslink said in a release.

“This coordinated and criminal attack from multiple directions threatened the lives of several workers. In one of the most concerning acts, an attempt was made to set a vehicle on fire while workers were inside.

“The attackers also wielded axes, swinging them at vehicles and through a truck’s window. Flare guns were also fired at workers. Workers fled the site for their own safety and remain shaken by this violent incident. Fortunately, there were no physical injuries to Coastal GasLink workers.”

Police say the roadway had been blocked with downed trees, tar-covered stumps, wire, boards with spikes in them, and fires had been lit throughout the debris. This was at the 41 km mark.

“The attackers used grinders to cut locks on a permitted gate to the active construction site and continued to vandalize and attack heavy equipment and construction trailers on-site, causing millions of dollars in damage to Coastal GasLink contractor equipment and property,” said the company.

“Equipment hydraulic and fuel lines were also cut, causing dangerous leaks. Damage and environmental impacts are still being assessed. We are working to contain and clean up the environmental damage caused by the attackers. We also understand the attackers felled trees, placed tire spikes and lit fires on roads in an effort to impede access to the remote worksite.”

As officers attempted to make way through the debris and traps, several people hurled smoke bombs and flaming sticks at them. One officer was injured.

When police hit the 43 km mark, they discovered an old bus blocking the road. No one else was found in this area and with the help of CGL, officers cleared the road and carried on.

Once at the 63 km mark, officers found heavy machinery and portable buildings had been damaged, but no blockade. Officers carried on towards the drill pad.