The Gun Blog.ca
October 21, 2002
-The Gun Blog.ca
TheGunBlog.ca — Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau officially killed the country’s legal handgun market today, as he works to weaken citizens, cripple the firearm industry, and wipe out shooting sports.
His new regulations, promised on May 30, took effect this morning at 00:01.
They target only government-licensed handgun users and businesses.
- You risk criminal charges, confiscations, and jail if you buy, sell, give away, or inherit any pistol or revolver.
- Police will confiscate your handguns when you die.
- You’re still allowed to use your handguns for now.
- The prohibitions on ownership transfers don’t apply if you requested them before today.
‘Coming Into Force’
“Today, our national freeze on handguns is coming into force,” Trudeau said at a briefing near Vancouver. “From today forward, it is no longer legal to buy, sell, or transfer a handgun in Canada.”
- Today’s crackdown is part of Trudeau’s expanding attacks against hunters, sport shooters, firearm collectors, and the businesses that serve them.
- They follow the prohibition of handgun imports in August.
- Trudeau began publicly considering handgun prohibitions and confiscations in 2018.
- Most gun stores and importers had shut down their handgun operations before today, eliminating an estimated 30% of Canada’s firearm industry.
- Today’s regulatory attack instantly wiped out more than $1 billion in wealth for Canada’s roughly 350,000 handgunners and our families, since our 1.2 million registered handguns and related accessories now have a market value of zero.
Trudeau and his Liberal Party are working on a range of new prohibitions and confiscations targeting honest firearm users, in addition to ending legal handgun ownership.
Their legislative and regulatory attacks include:
- Bill C-21, which will put the effect of today’s regulations into legislation, and will expand the rifle and shotgun confiscations begun in May 2020.
- New crimes targeting owners of ammunition magazines.
- New crimes targeting anyone who buys or sells any firearm.
- See our Policy Summary Table on our page for Liberal Gun Bans.