Brad Hunter

Published:July 9, 2022

-Toronto Sun


An accused Canadian gun runner who was busted south of Rochester with an arsenal of guns claims “very dangerous” criminals made him do it.

Badri Mohamed, 37, of Ottawa, is charged with criminal possession of a weapon in the first degree.

According to the media outlet WHEC, Mohamed appeared in a Livingston County courthouse where he reportedly claimed that he trafficked the guns from Houston, Texas because he feared for his life.

He was pulled over for speeding in a routine traffic stop in rural Mt. Morris.

In the trunk of his rented vehicle, cops allegedly discovered 58 semi-automatic handguns and high-capacity magazines stuffed in a duffel bag.

Mohamed told detectives he had been working in an Ottawa flower shop when he met a man named “Ahmed.”

He claims the mysterious Ahmed told him that he wanted him to do a job.

Cops say Mohamed claimed he said “no” but added that Ahmed was “very dangerous” and “said if I did not do the job he would hurt me.”

Mohamed flew to Houston and waited in a motel room. A week later, a man showed up with the guns, a car and a phone with “pre-loaded directions” and advised Mohamed to “drive where the directions say to go,” the accused claims.

A police report states that after Mohamed was pulled over in New York, “Badri began to cry and stated to patrol, ‘They made me do it. I did not want to do it, but they made me.”

His lawyer, William Swift, said Mohamed is nervous and afraid.

“He’s scared. He’s got family and he’s scared. So, he just wants to do the right thing and get this thing resolved and make sure, first and foremost, that his family is protected and secondly, that he is,” Swift told WHEC.

On Thursday, lawyers and the judge discussed a resolution. His lawyer would not reveal if Mohamed is cooperating with the feds.

“There are a lot of ways the charges can be resolved,” Swift told WHEC.

“There are a lot of different things potentially on the table, but as far as a court proceeding is concerned, a plea is always possible,” he said. “It depends on how the district attorney’s office wants to proceed.”

Mohamed is due back in court Aug. 11.