-New York Post
An explosive device set off at a gender-reveal party sparked a wildfire in Canada, authorities said.
The device was only supposed to release blue or pink powder to identify the baby’s sex when it was detonated in Alberta, about six miles west of Fort McMurray, on May 31, Global News reported.
It instead caused an inferno, which grew to about an acre before it was extinguished, the outlet reported.
Travis Fairweather, an Alberta Wildfire spokesman, said the individuals responsible were fined $600 and could also be forced to pay the costs of fighting the fire, the newspaper reported.
“While fireworks and exploding targets can be fun, they can also come with a hefty price tag if you inadvertently start a wildfire,” Fairweather said.
A new baby is something to celebrate, but be careful how you do it! A recent wildfire in Alberta was caused by an exploding target during a gender reveal party. You need written permission from a Forest Officer before detonating any exploding targets. https://t.co/Mp9Q6yZU3a pic.twitter.com/3fQYtGO8c8
— Alberta Wildfire (@AlbertaWildfire) June 7, 2021
Under local forestry laws, permission is required to use fireworks or exploding targets, the outlet reported.
It’s not the first time a gender-reveal announcement has had dangerous consequences.
In September, a group of relatives set off a pyrotechnic device to reveal an unborn baby’s gender and caused a massive wildfire in El Dorado Ranch Park in Yucaipa, California.